Pages

This blog is a record of my plants and garden projects. I have two gardens. One garden is in my backyard in New Brunswick (zone 4b). It is just a small plot of land but it is filled to the max and changes quite a bit each season. The second garden is at the cottage in Prince Edward Island (zone 5b). This property has over 100 acres and an infinite amount of potential. At this site I am working on the much larger landscape projects and it contains a large collections of trees, bamboo, and shrubs. I am most interested in hardy bamboo and japanese maples. I hope you enjoy my blog and maybe you might learn a little from my experiences and mistakes.



Todd



Friday, January 13, 2012

Welcome back Todd!

I had good intentions of blogging frequently but I obviously failed miserably. Life is busy, and I guess I spend too much time in front of a computer at work. Anyway... I made it to the cottage this week for a night and I was able to check out a few of my bamboo.



Almost all my bamboo are covered in plastic. I was able to peek through the plastic and check out the leaves underneath. We have very little snow this year, so there has been no insulation value. Our lowest temperature so far was -15.5 degrees Celsius.



I have 1 Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'alata' that I planted two summers ago. It is my 'control' plant. I will never fertilize, water or protect it. It's only advantage is a windbreak. It is surrounded by spruce and white pine. This plant looks great so far. Keep in mind, February is always our coldest month but always has snow cover as well.










It has very little to no leaf burn at all but has not faced much i the way of cold temperatures.


Here what it looked like last winter. It was completely covered with snow. The culms were bent down into the hard packed snow but they popped back up in the Spring.







I peeked through the plastic on rubromarginata, atrovaginata and Fargesia murielae and the leaves were all burnt. I hope their hardiness improves with age.
Through the plastic, bisettii and all aureosulcata forms looked green and happy.

I purchased a Fargesia denudata a couple years ago. The label said zone 5 but it suffers complete leaf loss and culm damage just below zero Celsius.
This is what it looks like now.





What it looked like in summer.





It did come back last year but I assume it will lose vigor or just maintain size overtime.

The Fargesia rufa look great so far. Here are three different rufas.




Some magnolia buds.




Pleioblastus viridistiatus will be mowed in early Spring.




The spring runs all year. It might freeze over but the water is always running underneath. I think that's why Gunnera manicata can survive here in this zone. The heat from the water must keep the ground around it a little warmer.




Gunnera size last summer.





I know the temperatures have not been really low yet but it was still nice to get an update on the plants so far.
Next year will probably be the first winter for a couple Phyllostachys to remain exposed. I look forward to seeing any upsizing this Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment