Pages

This blog is a record of my plants and garden projects. I have two gardens. One garden is in my backyard in New Brunswick (zone 4b). It is just a small plot of land but it is filled to the max and changes quite a bit each season. The second garden is at the cottage in Prince Edward Island (zone 5b). This property has over 100 acres and an infinite amount of potential. At this site I am working on the much larger landscape projects and it contains a large collections of trees, bamboo, and shrubs. I am most interested in hardy bamboo and japanese maples. I hope you enjoy my blog and maybe you might learn a little from my experiences and mistakes.



Todd



Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pseudosasa japonica

I guess the price was right. That's why I purchased a bamboo that was clearly not hardy in my zone. However I wanted to have bamboo that represented as many different genera as possible.

When the plant arrived in the Spring of 2010 it was not very impressive. I grew it in a pot and it sized up pretty well.





I decided to keep it in a pot for the first winter in a grow room in my basement. Despite having only regular fluorescent lights, the bamboo did send up a few new shoots during the winter.
Winter 2010



It looked great in April when I put it out on the deck but I learned a lesson in the process. A few cold nights and too much direct Sun quickly burned and killed most of the youngest leaves. I didn't take a picture of plant after that.
Spring 2011



The plant quickly recovered in the Summer and I decided I didn't have the space for it again inside for this winter. I planted it out at the cottage in PEI. It is in a fairly protected site and it seems quite happy. It sent up three or four new culms but they pushed up too late in the season. They didn't have a chance leaf out or harden off before the cold weather arrived.
Summer 2011



It looked great in early November just before I tarped it before the winter.
I took a peek through the plastic in January and the leaves were still green. So if we can get some snow cover, I am fairly confident this bamboo will do alright next Spring and maybe push up a few taller culms.
Fall 2011



It is a very vigorous bamboo and I will continue to protect it through winters as long as it is manageable. Otherwise, I assume it will simply die to the ground every winter and come back each year as a perrenial. If this happens, it may lose vigour and eventually die off. Time will tell.

I really appreciate the larger, wider leaves when compared to Phyllostachys and Fargesia species.

TC

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! This is the best thing, Thank you so much for taking the time to share this exciting information.
    Weed

    ReplyDelete