Pages

This blog is a record of my plants and garden projects. I have two gardens. One garden is in my backyard in New Brunswick (zone 4b). It is just a small plot of land but it is filled to the max and changes quite a bit each season. The second garden is at the cottage in Prince Edward Island (zone 5b). This property has over 100 acres and an infinite amount of potential. At this site I am working on the much larger landscape projects and it contains a large collections of trees, bamboo, and shrubs. I am most interested in hardy bamboo and japanese maples. I hope you enjoy my blog and maybe you might learn a little from my experiences and mistakes.



Todd



Thursday, January 19, 2012

Garden Statues and Props

Garden statues and props often enhance settings but are quite tricky. Too many and the garden becomes tacky, none and the garden is not reaching its potential. I have a few different stone ornaments in my garden in Moncton. They are small in size and therefore fit the proper scale of my small garden. Larger gardens require larger ornaments or they often just get overlooked.

This was a setting I created in 2010


Here is the use of an asian inspired lantern.


In this shot you can see a small lantern near the pond and a stone bench to sit and watch the fish.



This isn't a permanent fixture but can often be found keeping cats away from the fish.


Kew Gardens had some mega sized props to balance its mega-sized setting.





My only larger ornament is the pergola. I built it at the cottage in PEI with the help of my Dad so that I could get married under it. After the wedding, I disassembled the pergola, brought it to my house in Moncton and re-assembled it in my yard. It provides some cover from the Sun, some vertical interest with the wisteria vine and a small sanctuary like feeling when laying in the hammock.



I'll need to invest in a nice sized ornament of some sort for the garden on the island.
TC

2 comments:

  1. Such an informative post for me as well as for others.Its really great.Thanks for this and keep sharing..

    furniture gift ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post, thanks for sharing this informative post with us.

    ReplyDelete