Pages

This blog is a record of my plants and garden projects. I have two gardens. One garden is in my backyard in New Brunswick (zone 4b). It is just a small plot of land but it is filled to the max and changes quite a bit each season. The second garden is at the cottage in Prince Edward Island (zone 5b). This property has over 100 acres and an infinite amount of potential. At this site I am working on the much larger landscape projects and it contains a large collections of trees, bamboo, and shrubs. I am most interested in hardy bamboo and japanese maples. I hope you enjoy my blog and maybe you might learn a little from my experiences and mistakes.



Todd



Sunday, January 15, 2012

Highlights of my small garden. Zone 4b

I thought I would just post a bunch of pictures of some plants and different views of my small garden in New Brunswick. The garden is not very old but it has come a long way in 3 years. It started like this.




My first burst of color comes from my two marsh marigolds.
Caltha palustrus



Caltha palustrus 'alba'



Here is a miniature pot garden I started.



The Bergenia provides early color and a place for this crab spider to wait.



Further along in the summer, the view from my pergola is quite green and lush.




My Musa basjoo. It never really looked good because the winds are too high. I had nowhere to shelter it but still get it some Sun. I moved it to the cottage, chopped it down to the ground and protected in for the winter.



South side of pond.



East side of yard under deck overhang.



East side of pergola.



Pond looking West.



Pond.



West side along fence.



Looking North.



Looking SW from the driveway.



Ligularia in full bloom.



A few potted plants.



My first black mondo grass. Will it survive the winter?




Elephant ears.
-



View of pergola from the deck.



East side of pergola.



Waterlilies. I had probably 8 to 10 blooms. Not bad for part sun.



I guess the sadest part is we are moving next Summer. Will the next owners care and tend the garden or will all my hard work be removed?
I will take a few prize plants with me. However, my next lot has a lot of potential. It is 2.2 acres on a mature, mossy forest setting.











No comments:

Post a Comment