Pages

This blog is a record of my plants and garden projects. I have two gardens. One garden is in my backyard in New Brunswick (zone 4b). It is just a small plot of land but it is filled to the max and changes quite a bit each season. The second garden is at the cottage in Prince Edward Island (zone 5b). This property has over 100 acres and an infinite amount of potential. At this site I am working on the much larger landscape projects and it contains a large collections of trees, bamboo, and shrubs. I am most interested in hardy bamboo and japanese maples. I hope you enjoy my blog and maybe you might learn a little from my experiences and mistakes.



Todd



Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Goodbye Greenhouse

Well we have had over 250cm of snow so far this winter.  WOW!  My new hobby is shoveling.  The weight built up so much that my greenhouse collapsed.  At first I thought it had only ripped through the covering but upon further inspection I noticed that it had bent, broke and tore the metal poles.  Check out the pics below.



Picture from the kitchen window.




I had duct taped the outflow from my air exchanger to the greenhouse and it was workign great.  It was keeping the greenhouse at least 3 degrees warmer than the outside even at night.  After I shoveled the snow of the collapsed room I went inside.  Check out the framing.  It's destroyed.


The was a lot of force at play here.  The poles not only slid out and but tore out!

Check out how much color the rosemary and thyme has.

I guess this just means I will have to replace it with an upgraded model next year.   If I don't spend all my money on bamboos and japanese maples.
The height of the snow beside the greenhouse built up as high as the roof and therefore the snow on the roof couldn't slide off the right side.  The left side of the greenhouse roof was blocked by patio privacy panel.  The result is a greenhouse fit for the spring clean-up.

Guess what, it's still snowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment