Pages

This blog is a record of my plants and garden projects. I have two gardens. One garden is in my backyard in New Brunswick (zone 4b). It is just a small plot of land but it is filled to the max and changes quite a bit each season. The second garden is at the cottage in Prince Edward Island (zone 5b). This property has over 100 acres and an infinite amount of potential. At this site I am working on the much larger landscape projects and it contains a large collections of trees, bamboo, and shrubs. I am most interested in hardy bamboo and japanese maples. I hope you enjoy my blog and maybe you might learn a little from my experiences and mistakes.



Todd



Monday, February 7, 2011

The Evolution of the Backyard Pond

I always wanted to document the transformation of my backyard.  Unfortunately I didn't take that many pictures of the process but here goes.

When we purchased the house, it had a flooding problem in the backyard that we didn't notice when we moved in because it was late fall / winter.  However the problem quickly became apparent the next spring. 
I wonder where the inspiration for the pond came from?

These pictures show what happened after a rain after we had the backyard topsoiled and graded in July 2007.  After some makeshift drainage solutions, the grass started growing and I began the beautification process.  I was extremely happy that the developers left this narrow green belt between the houses.  It enabled a much more natural looking pond setting and quite a bit of shade.

The following summer (2008) I started the construction of  a couple raised beds after I installed the fence.  I also dug a run off drainage ditch for the pond.

Notice the drainage ditch and raised perennial bed along the fence.
I broke the three rules of pond placement.  I put the pond at the lowest part of the yard, in the shade and under trees.  After 3 years I have been able to manage the pond with very few problems.  Digging the pond was tough because my whole yard is heavy clay.  However, that made it easy shape.  I used some of the excavation material to build up a slope behind the pond where the feeder stream originates.

That japanese maple 'Bloodgood' was transplanted from the cottage in Prince Edward Island.  Unfortunately it died shortly after this picture was taken.  The heavy clay soil did not let the water drain and the maple essentially drown in the bowl I dug for it.  Lesson learned but I was pretty upset about it.   


The three pictures above are from early August 2008, shortly after I got married.  Unfortunately I have few pictures taken after this.  The next pictures I have are from July 2009.  It is amazing how much I got accomplished during those 6 or 7 months without snow.   Check it out!



Check out the pergola in the background.  I made it for my wedding at the cottage and then disassembled it and brought it home.




The next four photos are from the summer of 2010.

My biggest regret in the plantings along the spillway are the "one-zies".  I planted too many different plants instead of multiples of fewer plants.   Oh well, something to change in the future.
I didn't know if the site would get enough light for the lily to bloom but it made 3 blooms in 2010.  The fish have overwintered since 2008 and have bred both years since.  However, most of the young are eaten or get washed away into people's backyards when we get heavy rains. 

Hopefully the pond and fish overwinter well this year.  I keep the pump running all winter and I also add a small livestock tank de-icer to keep an open patch on the surface so the poisonous gases can escape.

Hope you enjoyed.  If you have any questions or comments, don't be shy.
Todd

2 comments:

  1. very nice, turn flood plain to a beautiful pond.
    i am interest in growing bamboo in cold climate Maine to be specific. from i have read so far not that many edible shoot type of bamboo will do well in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you coastal Maine or inland? If you are coastal, you can probably be quite successful with any Phyllostachys aureosulcata varieties or Phyllostachys bissetii.

    ReplyDelete