Pages

This blog is a record of my plants and garden projects. I have two gardens. One garden is in my backyard in New Brunswick (zone 4b). It is just a small plot of land but it is filled to the max and changes quite a bit each season. The second garden is at the cottage in Prince Edward Island (zone 5b). This property has over 100 acres and an infinite amount of potential. At this site I am working on the much larger landscape projects and it contains a large collections of trees, bamboo, and shrubs. I am most interested in hardy bamboo and japanese maples. I hope you enjoy my blog and maybe you might learn a little from my experiences and mistakes.



Todd



Wednesday, February 23, 2011

$4 orchids eh! Ok, I'll take 3 of them.

I went to Home Depot today to check their seed display.  It was the classic seed display that everyone else in town has.  Nothing new.  However I did find some Phalaenopsis orchids on sale.  They wouldn't be on sale if they were still in bloom.  I have no idea what color they will be.  Hopefully I got at least two different colors or patterns out of the three of them.

I have never had orchids before and know very little about them.  Here's what I think I know about them.  They bloom only once or twice a year.  Their blooms can last a couple months.  They don't require any direct sun and are relatively low maintenance plants.  However, many people do not have the patience to care for them while they wait for the plants to bloom a second time. 

I would have never purchased them if I had not thought about replacing some plants I had in a few pots in my dining area.  My wife and I picked out some desert plants we liked and put them in these three pots.  For what little I know about orchids I know exponentially less about desert plants.

Here they were in the three white pots.





I still like them and will continue to care for them (they require very little attention).  I just didn't like the look of that corner.  I had orginally planned on growing herbs there throughout the winter but they herbs were just to leggy and required too much water to keep them happy.  The pots are just too small and there wasn't enough soil to absorb enough water to keep herbs for any amount of time.  Hence why we moved to desert plants. 


Here are the $4 beauties.

 They aren't too much to look at yet but I like the way they look in their terra cotta pots against the wall and their tongue like foliage stands out a lot more than the prickly previous tenants.


Hopefully the wife will like the new look when she gets home tonight.  I'll have to tell her I paid $25 for each one and see what happens.  If this is my last blog, you'll know why. 

Let me know if you like the new look and if you have any advice on orchid care.
TC

No comments:

Post a Comment